PO BOX 608, HERVEY BAY QLD 4655 1300463987

Feel lost with legal name change paperwork?

Your NEXT STEP starts here, today.

How Name Change Should Be

Peace of Mind

No more guesswork when changing your name. Your name change guide & checklist will help you tick all the boxes

Hassle Free

No need to search around for forms and procedures. We've researched over 700 companies and 560 government departments/councils... All ready for you to download today.

Quick, like a band-aid

No need to keep putting off changing your name and dragging it out. We make it quick and painless

Everything You Need In One Neat Package

How PayPal WorksBuy now with PayPalGodaddy Site Security
Click each section to read more

Step-by Step Guide & Checklist After Legal Name Change

Organising your legal name change can be a confusing and stressful time.



That’s why we are your NEXT STEP

What You Need To Know About Legal Name Change

Legal Name Change Options

You don’t need to submit a name change application to Births, Deaths & Marriages if you’re acquiring your spouse’s name after marriage, or removing it after divorce.   The law differs between states, however, you’re generally entitled to change your name in Australia if you have Australian Citizenship or permanent residency or have lived in your current state for 1-3 years (differs between states) immediately preceding your application. Once you have lodged your legal name change application with Births, Deaths & Marriages in your state

How To Legally Change My Name

Once you’ve decided on your name change, you will need to have new identification issued and notify your new name to all of the entities / organisations and Companies you deal with on a day to day basis. You can apply to have your name legally changed through the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages in your state.

How Do I Inform Entities Of My Name Change?

All organisations and businesses that you deal with on a daily basis will need to be notified of your name change. By choosing one of our name change packages, we take the hassle out of this process.   We guarantee our services will save you time and make your life change easier to manage. If they don’t we’ll happily refund your money.

Births, Deaths & Marriages

Births, Deaths & Marriages in each state are responsible for issuing birth, marriage, name change and death certificates.

To change your name legally (once known as deed poll), you will need to file an application with re relevant registry in your state of birth. Once complete you will be issued a name change certificate. A name change certificate is a legal document to verify your new identity.

Next Step is not affiliated with Births, Deaths & Marriages, and therefore we can not answer questions relating to the issuing of certificates. These questions are best directed to the registry in the state in which the event took place. Contact details can be found below.


Births, Deaths & Marriages - ACT

http://www.ors.act.gov.au/community/births_deaths_and_marriages Address: 255 Canberra Avenue Fyshwick Opening Hours: 9am to 4:30pm Mon-Fri Postal address: GPO Box 158 Canberra City A.C.T. 2601 Phone: (02) 6207 3000 9am-4:30pm Mon-Fri

Already Have Your Name Change Certificate?

Next Step is your name change


Births, Deaths & Marriages - NSW

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/ Address: Sydney: 35 Regent St Chippendale Parramatta: 160 Marsden St Newcastle: 95 Tudor St Hamilton Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00am to 4:30pm Postal address: GPO Box 30 SYDNEY NSW 2001 Phone: 13 77 88 Mon-Fri 7am to 7pm

Already Have Your Name Change Certificate?

Next Step is your name change


Births, Deaths & Marriages - NT

https://nt.gov.au/law/bdm/apply-for-birth-death-or-marriage-certificate There are offices in Darwin, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs. Their office & postals addresses and phone numbers can be found here https://nt.gov.au/law/bdm/births-deaths-and-marriages-office-contacts

Already Have Your Name Change Certificate?

Next Step is your name change


Births, Deaths & Marriages - QLD

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/ Address: 110 George St Brisbane Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm Postal address: PO Box 15188 City East QLD 4002 Phone: 1300 366 430 Mon-Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm

Already Have Your Name Change Certificate?

Next Step is your name change


Births, Deaths & Marriages - SA

http://www.cbs.sa.gov.au/wcm/births-deaths-marriages/ Address: Customer Service Centre, 91 Grenfell Street, Adelaide Opening Hours: 9am-5pm Mon-Fri (except public holidays) Postal address: Births, Deaths & Marriages, Consumer & Business Services, GPO Box 1351, Adelaide SA 5001 Phone: 131 882

Already Have Your Name Change Certificate?

Next Step is your name change


Births, Deaths & Marriages - TAS

http://www.justice.tas.gov.au/bdm Address: There are 27 Service Tasmania locations. There addresses and opening hours can be found http://www.service.tas.gov.au/about/shops/ Postal address: GPO Box 198 HOBART TAS 7001 Phone: 1300 135 513

Already Have Your Name Change Certificate?

Next Step is your name change


Births, Deaths & Marriages - VIC

http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/ Address: Ground floor, 595 Collins Street Melbourne Opening Hours: 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) Note. Applications for Change of Name, Registering a Relationship and bookings for the Victorian Marriage Registry are not accepted after 4pm. Postal address: Certificate applications Births, Deaths & Marriages GPO Box 5220 MELBOURNE VIC 3001 General mail & all other applications Births, Deaths & Marriages GPO Box 4332 MELBOURNE VIC 3001 Phone: 1300 369 367 Mon-Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm

Already Have Your Name Change Certificate?

Next Step is your name change


Births, Deaths & Marriages - WA

http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/ Address: Level 10, 141 St Georges Terrace Opening Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm Mon-Fri (except public holidays) Postal address: PO Box 7720 Cloisters Square PERTH WA 6850 Phone: 1300 305 021

Already Have Your Name Change Certificate?

Next Step is your name change

Certifying Documents

Each state and territory have different legislation governing who can certify documents. To avoid confusion and potential delays, we recommend all copies of documents are certified by a Justice of the Peace.   Below is a list of persons approved to certify documents in each state. Click on the link in your home state to find a Justice of the Peace local to you.

Justice Of The Peace

Justice of the Peace (JPs) are voluntarily appointed officers who carry out a range of legally-related tasks to help the community. The most common task that JPs perform is certifying  copies  as being true and correct versions of the original document.   We have Queensland registered Justice of the Peace on staff. While they can certify copies of documents for residents of any Australian state or territory, it is at the discretion of each individual organisation as to whether or not they will accept copies certified by a Justice of the Peace outside of your state of residence. The original documents must be sighted with the copies in order for the copies to be certified. If you would like our staff to certify copies of your marriage, divorce or birth certificates or other relevant identification documents, please email us at admin@nextstep.com.au to arrange. You will need to send your original document along with the copies you would like certified and a postage paid reply envelope so we can return your documents to you. This is a free service. If your name or address change requires you to complete a Statutory Declaration or requires signatures to be witnessed, this will need to be conducted in person. The links below will help you find a JP local to you.


Certifying Documents - ACT

• Justice of the Peace